Sunday 28 March 2010

Grand Vintage Ball inspiration (part one)

Last week I happened across an advert for something called The Grand Vintage Ball. This was a very exciting find for three reasons:
1) I love vintage and vintage style clothes and accessories
2) It's at The Rivoli Ballroom, one of my favourite places in the world
3) It falls on one of my best friends' birthday, and she is a vintage vixen!

Obviously, my outfit is all important! Authentic vintage clothes rarely fit me well, so I'm going to look at vintage style pieces. Having had a good think, three eras are open to me and my shape, and I'll show them in this and the next two posts.


First up.....
1920's - flapper fashion!


Fashion-era.com describes flapper fashion thus:
"The costume history image in our minds of a woman of the 'Roaring Twenties' is actually likely to be the image of a flapper. Flappers did not truly emerge until 1926.  Flapper fashion embraced all things and styles modern.  A fashionable flapper had short sleek hair, a shorter than average shapeless shift dress, a chest as flat as a board, wore make up and applied it in public, smoked with a long cigarette holder, exposed her limbs and epitomised the spirit of a reckless rebel who danced the nights away in the Jazz Age."


That's definitely a bit of me! Except for the cigarette...maybe I could have a chocolate one?


This dress from Goddiva is perfect, at only £35!



(not sure why this is blurry...check it out on their website!)

I'd wear it with headpiece like this headband/fascinator from PegasusMaiden's Etsy shop ($32 approx. £21.31)




And maybe some long beads, like these ones - £4 from New Look


Completing the look with some black mary-jane or t-bar shoes. I love these by Miss KG -  £50 from asos.com
So what would do you think to this outfit? Let me know below!

xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment